Since ‘66, Vans has been renowned for skate sneaks and original street style. Created for skaters to musicians, artists to fashion, Vans trainers mean many things to many people. They’re a blank canvas for creative expression.
And, we’re answering the age-old question, “What’s the freshest way to lace Vans?”. Whether you’re looking for minimal everyday style or something to turn heads, hit below for some inspo on some of our fave techniques that will make you a lacing pro!
First up we have arguably the most popular technique – the humble cross lacing.
Here’s how to do it:
- Thread each end of the shoelace through the two bottom eyelets – the left end through the left eyelet and vice versa, forming a bar between them.
- Thread the right lace through the next eyelet on the left side, going over and down through the hole (careful not to twist the lace!).
- Repeat the process with the left lace, being sure to feed the lace downward through the eyelet, then bring it back up again once it’s threaded.
- Continue the pattern up to your desired eyelet. Some people like to leave a few eyelets empty for more room, others like a snug fit.
- Cross-lacing shoes means that one side of your laces will always lie atop the other. When lacing your second shoe, if you reverse the pattern, your shoes will be mirrored.
Next Up – the middle ground between cross laces and straight laces. Zipper lacing is one to master if you wanna’ make a statement with your SK8-HI‘s!
- Tie one end of your lace in a knot. This knot will act as an anchor of sorts, so make sure it isn’t able to fit through the eyelets.
- Thread the unknotted end of the lace through the bottom right eyelet from underneath.
- Take this same end across and over, threading it downwards through the bottom left eyelet.
- Bring the lace under and across, threading it upwards through the second-to-bottom right eyelet.
- Repeat until your shoe is laced all the way. You won’t have to shoelaces to tie with this method, so simply pull it as tight as you like, tuck in the end of the lace, and you’re good to go.
Ready to up your lacing game? You need something to practice on, right? Check out Vans trainers for all the fam on site RN.